The current Enterprise Agreement – which sets out all pay and conditions at CSIRO – nominally expires on 16 August 2014 and it’s time for union members to get organised and start preparing for negotiations.
This is the first of a series of bargaining updates, developed to keep Staff Association members informed throughout the Enterprise Bargaining process.
- October – November: Bargaining survey and meetings to develop our position.
- December: Member vote on our bargaining position. Formal request to CSIRO Executive to commence negotiations in early February 2014.
- February to May: Negotiations with CSIRO Executive and regular member participation through meetings, quick polls/surveys etc. The objective is to reach in principle agreement with CSIRO Executive by June.
- June: Member vote on proposed new agreement, Ministerial approval, all staff vote, Fair Work Australia approval.
- August: New agreement commences.
How can I participate now?
There are two key ways that Staff Association members can participate. These are:
- Complete our secure, confidential bargaining survey.
- Attend your local Staff Association workplace meeting. Details are available from your workplace delegate or organiser.
What other factors may influence bargaining?
There are a range of factors which are likely to influence negotiations. These include:
- The Federal Government’s approach to CSIRO funding and jobs.
- A new set of bargaining parameters from the Australian Public Service Commission. This could include an attempt to impose a pay cap and limit improvements to conditions.
- The impact of implementing recommendations from the Pearce review of workplace bullying and other unreasonable behaviour – for example an amended grievance and misconduct procedure.
- Possible implications of changing CSIRO’s organisational matrix structure as a result of the Organising Arrangements Review.
What if I’m not a member of the Staff Association?
The only way to contribute to the Staff Association’s bargaining position is to become a member. Make your voice heard by joining today.